Job Opening: Director of Strategic Partnerships
Nonprofit VOTE partners with America’s nonprofits to help the people they serve – communities typically left out of the political process – participate and vote. We are the largest source of nonpartisan resources to help nonprofits integrate voter engagement into their ongoing activities and services. Nonprofit VOTE also assists nonprofits with other forms of civic engagement, and increasingly Census participation.
Nonprofit VOTE manages the multi-organizational work of National Voter Registration Day (NVRD). NVRD is a single day of coordinated ﬁeld, technology, and media efforts, held on the fourth Tuesday in September, to raise awareness of voter registration opportunities and ultimately help hundreds of thousands of Americans get registered to vote.
Position Summary and Location
The Director of Strategic Partnerships will be focused on cultivating partnerships and related activities for both Nonprofit VOTE and NVRD. The Dir. of Strategic Partnerships will be based in a shared space or home office easily accessible to Washington, DC, with frequent travel across the country and to Nonprofit VOTE’s main office in Boston.
Nonprofit VOTE Partnerships
- Maintain relations and ongoing communications with key national allies and partners, including major nonprofit networks like United Way, National Council of Nonprofits, YWCA, and Volunteers of America. Establish clear and realistic goals in collaboration with national partners for deepening their level of voter engagement work.
- Identify opportunities to bring Nonprofit VOTE’s resources to bear in supporting the voter engagement activities of national allies and nonprofit partners, including development of branded voter engagement campaigns, distribution of existing materials through the group’s network, and presentations at key meetings and conferences.
- Lead or co-lead trainings, workshops and webinars for key nonprofit partners using Nonprofit VOTE’s curriculum and resource materials. Occasionally represent Nonprofit VOTE in public speaking engagements, at plenaries, and similar events
NVRD Relationships & Planning
- Leverage existing organizational relations to identify and open doors to new nonprofit, institutional, and corporate partners. Actively manage key organizational partnerships, and work with the executive director on top-level relationships.
- Assume project management responsibilities related to NVRD, in coordination with other staff and external consultants, including management of external communications, translation, online and digital tools, materials distribution, outreach and events.
- Coordinate activities of the NVRD Steering Committee, including regular communications and updates, as well as planning and coordination of face-to-face meetings and calls of the Steering Committee.
- Make major donor visits.
- Work with executive director to steward relations with key foundation officers.
- Lead work to solicit webinar sponsorships.
Skills / Qualities Needed:
- Strong project management skills, planning, and oversight.
- Ability to build consensus in a bipartisan / nonpartisan manner to achieve shared goals.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Good listener with ability to identify challenges or barriers partner groups may be facing, and importantly, how to solve them. Commitment to nonpartisan voter engagement and bringing underrepresented communities into the process.
- Commands respect in the field and among peers.
- Prior knowledge / experience in the voter engagement field a strong plus.
- Expected to develop (or have) a deep knowledge of voter engagement best practices, ability to help partners plan organization-specific strategies for voter engagement.
- Willingness to travel, approximately twice monthly.
Please send a cover letter, resume, 3 references, and salary expectations to email@example.com. The deadline to apply is May 14, 2017.
Nonprofit VOTE is an Equal Opportunity Employer – People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.