Much has been written about turnout in this year’s election: it was the lowest in 72 years at 37%, but still typical for a midterm. Less known is that voters served by nonprofits–youth and voters of color–increased their share of the electorate compared to the 2010 midterm. This trend will continue in election cycles to come.
Despite the lack of political competition in many states, Nonprofit VOTE and its partners had successes to build on.
- Partners in Arizona, Colorado, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, and Texas registered or collected voter pledges from over 42,000 voters as part of an evaluation of the impact nonprofits have when engaging their constituents about voting.
- Staff and volunteers from 4,278 nonprofits took advantage of our national webinars on nonpartisan strategies and tools for nonprofits to work on a range of voter engagement activities.
- A record 2,038 organizations participated in the third annual National Voter Registration Day. 10,398 volunteers and major online partners registered 152,482 voters. Special thanks to the National Association of Secretaries of State for passing a five year resolution supporting NVRD and helping to cement its place as an annual holiday and celebration of democracy. NVRD was also supported by the National Association of State Election Directors.
- The National PTA, American Alliance of Museums, Vote-Run-Lead, and the Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits became some of our newest national and state partners. We currently partner with 127 organizations to promote election engagement among their more than 68,000 local affiliates.
- In 2014, we debuted popular new resources like the Benefits of Voting series, Candidate Appearances at Your Nonprofit factsheet in English and Spanish, and our online registration tool powered by Rock the Vote.
- Nonprofit Law Matters included Nonprofit VOTE in their Top 25 List of Comments on proposed IRS rulemaking for 501(c)(4) organizations.
Thank you to our partners and other organizations for your support this year. We look forward to what we can accomplish together in 2015 and beyond!