The National Association of Secretaries of State has declared September 2012 National Voter Registration Month and September 25th National Voter Registration Day.
September is the perfect time to focus on voter registration as 48 states and the District of Columbia have voter registration deadlines in October. In 2008, six million potential voters failed to cast a ballot because they missed a voter registration deadline or didn’t know how to register to vote. Ensure your community is fully engaged in 2012 by taking action this month to help your constituents register to vote:
- Download Nonprofit VOTE’s “Register to Vote” poster in both Spanish and English and display it in a high-traffic area–be sure to include information on where and how to register.
- Make voter registration forms available on-site in your lobby or at intake. Provide instructions and assistance on how to complete and return the forms.
- Hold a voter registration drive during the two weeks before the deadline. Learn about voter registration in your state and how to obtain and return forms.
- Remind voters that they need to update their voter registration if they’ve recently moved or changed their name.
- Participate in National Voter Registration Day on September 25th and register your community before the 2012 deadlines pass.
Join Nonprofit VOTE and the National Association of Secretaries of State in making voters aware of registration deadlines and requirements for the November 6th election!