Join The Nonprofit VOTE Staff Team!
Job Opening: Program Director,
National Voter Registration Day
Nonprofit VOTE partners with America’s nonprofits to help the people they serve participate and vote. We are the largest source of nonpartisan resources, toolkits, and trainings to help nonprofits integrate voter engagement into their ongoing activities and services.
Nonprofit VOTE also manages the collaborative work of National Voter Registration Day, a single day of coordinated ﬁeld, technology, and media strategies to raise awareness of voter registration opportunities and help more Americans register to vote.
We are seeking a Program Director to organize and rally key national partners around one of the most prominent and important civic holidays in the nation – National Voter Registration Day – held on the fourth Tuesday of every September. In 2020, we aim to break past years’ records and register over one million voters with the help of over 50 major national partners and 4,500 field partners. To do this we require a creative and entrepreneurial Program Director with sincere people skills and a passion for civic engagement and democracy.
- Project Management: Provide overall project management, including tracking of tasks and responsibilities across the staff team, leveraging digital and collaborative planning tools to do so. Lead NVRD team meetings and discussions to ensure forward motion of event responsibilities.
- Sponsorships: Primary responsibility for managing and expanding our corporate sponsorship program and the core financial support it provides for the holiday, including cultivating, securing, and stewarding new corporate and existing sponsors. Sponsors are recognized with branding benefits on posters and event collateral.
- Premier Partners: Play lead role in coordinating 50-60 major national nonprofits, associations, and businesses as Premier Partners. The Program Director is directly responsible for roughly half the partnerships, and works with other staff (who each maintain a docket) to ensure all partners are engaged. Organize meetings and planning calls for Premier Partners, as well as ongoing communications with Premier Partners.
- Communications: Work in partnership with Nonprofit VOTE’s communications staff, and external contractors, to plan and implement communications in the build-up to NVRD, including social media strategies, email campaigns to recruit new community partners, and public relations efforts. Work with media-oriented Premier Partners to leverage their respective platforms for maximum impact.
- Evaluation & Reporting: Work in partnership with Nonprofit VOTE’s research staff to develop and field a post-NVRD survey and evaluation, as well as collect metrics on the overall impact. Help collect stories from Premier Partners and others for the final report. Work with our communications staff for layout and production of final report.
- Steering Committee: Work in partnership with the Executive Director to plan meetings of the NVRD Steering Committee. Ensure continuous engagement of leadership throughout the year, including regular updates and feedback opportunities. Provide staff support to working groups, including a team working to move Congressional and state-level resolutions proclaiming the holiday.
- General: While the Program Coordinator is primarily focused on supporting the work of National Voter Registration Day, they will also support Nonprofit VOTE’s general program work as needed, participate in shared staff strategy sessions, and other work shared across the staff team.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Strategic mindset and ability to connect the program to larger strategic goals.
- Ability to build and maintain positive and authentic relationships, including a desire to understand and integrate the interests and motivation of partners and sponsors.
- Highly-organized professional with ability to manage multiple relationships, ensuring regular communications and follow-through on commitments made.
- Experience and comfort with sponsorship solicitations, fundraising, and development.
- Energetic self-starter with ability to identify and seize upon unexpected opportunities.
- Strong project management skills and ability to work collaboratively with other team members to ensure key tasks are carried out, troubleshooting challenges as they arise.
- Ability to manage uncertainty and work well under pressure.
- Superb attention to detail and ability to reliably adhere to deadlines
- Strong communication skills including a demonstrated ability to write effective donor stewardship communications.
- Deep commitment to nonpartisan voter engagement and fostering an inclusive democracy where all voices are heard.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent nonprofit experience.
- At least 7 years of experience in some combination of program management, donor relations, event management, advocacy, and/or partner engagement. Experience working in the field of voting and civic engagement preferred.
- Based in or willing to relocate to the Washington, DC area. Out-of-state travel required.
Salary and Benefits:
This position will pay between $68,000 and $76,000 depending on experience. Health, dental, 401k, and other benefits provided.
Nonprofit VOTE is committed to values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. These values are reflected in our external work to engage marginalized communities in voting and elections. Internally, we seek to build and empower a diverse staff and leadership team. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Nonprofit VOTE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.